MOOERS REALTY Media Stream Player

Monday, March 29, 2010

You Rent A Maine Apartment, Or A Home, House And Want Security Deposit Back When You Move.

Your security deposit on your Maine home, apartment house apartment was supposed to be put in to a special account, interest bearing to accrue to you.

And when you move, assuming no damage beyond normal wear and tear, or lack of last month's payment in full or proration, you want the deposit and interest made back. What happens if the property owner, Maine landlord does not give all or a portion back?

Well if he or she does not give you in writing notice within 21 days that you won't be getting back some or all of the deposit due to an outlined list of damages and reasons why, things get dicey.

Triple the deposit damages and having to pay the renter's reasonable attorneys fees to recover it thru the Maine court system is what happens. Being a landlord has lots of responsibilities, tasks, laws that go with it on top of smoke and co2 dedector legislation that got beefed up, going in to force a few months back in Maine.

I'm Maine REALTOR Andrew Mooers

No comments: